Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Muse Sleeping

Why Not to Write Poems

“I’m a poet” makes for awkward social introductions.
No one reads poetry anymore. It’s old-fashioned,
irrelevant, and adolescent. 

You don’t see the universe in the heart of a lily.
It just spits orange pollen all over your black turtleneck
and makes you sneeze. 

Grammar is confusing. Poems are unnecessary.
They make nothing happen.* They don’t even 
rhyme anymore.

You are insufficiently weird. Only goth teens, 
hippies, queers, suicidal women, and old people 
write poems. 

Poets have to read poems. You read a poem once. 
You hated it. The only famous poets are dead poets. 
There are no rich poets. 

You have no talent. You’re the wrong ethnicity. 
You don’t know enough big words. You’ve got no 
rhythm. And WTF are “line breaks”?

You’ve read that it takes years of study and practice 
to write even one good poem. The only easy-to-write 
poems are list poems. And they’re boring.
(By Sharon Brogan written on VerseWrights)

7 comments:

  1. Excellent poetry!

    I adore the picture - it's like the parting of the 'oil on canvas' sea! I could look at that for ages and never tire of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan to stay and write I might.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it does seem that at this point in time people don't take people that write poetry very seriously.

    In regards to your comment on my post "Me too" you mentioned about hurting a man where it hurts? You know where? I just wanted you to know that in early 2000 I was walking at a park in town, suddenly I noticed blushes blocking anyone from view and a man jumped out of the bushes and wrapped his arms from behind me. I struggled to get free...then used my right arm behind me (he had gripped) and with all my strength I aimed my elbow to the "that area' and "bullseye" he loosened his grip and I ran like the wind...to my car. I was going to call police with my cell in my car...but thought no get out of here. I drove home called the police...and a male and female officer came to my home, and failed a report. Turned out this has happened before to 8 other women. They arrested him at the park..and I DID go to court to testify. Very scary! The other women were to afraid...I understand that. It was my boyfriend at the time, who had told me that "that park" was "safe" and so I went there first time...and this is what happened. When I told him on the phone what had happened he acted very weird and unemotional. I never heard from him again after that. It hurt but I've experience "whimpy" men before...nothing new. I don't trust men anymore...I don't want a
    relationship like that anymore. I'm
    "DONE"... I guess other people on your blog are reading this thinking "who is she and why is she writing this on his blog"...oh well...maybe I will end up helping another woman to have the courage to speak up for herself and say "Me too"..thanks goatman...for your kind advice..

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S.Merry Christmas to you and hope for love and peace in this country and the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rhiannon: You cannot worry about what others' think, it'll hurt your head. We are friends and can relate without fear.
    Good job on the guy -- bet he thought twice about grabbing someone else.
    Hope your holidays are fun and with many cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharon sure made it sound tough
    And she might be right, at that
    But heck
    While I'm not a poet
    I'll do poetry, anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A thought-provoking poet...and I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete